- Breen, Noreile
- Bucholz, Prof. Merritt
- BuronGarcia, Javi
- Carroll, Sylvia
- Carroll, Peter
- Carty, Gerard
- Dunn, Miriam
- Feeney, Declan
- Flynn, Morgan
- Frohburg, Jan
- Griffin, Andrew
- Guinane, Noel
- Hassett, Grainne
- Hatz, Prof. Elizabeth
- Laroussi, Maxim
- Lewis, Prof. David J.
- Mc Laughlin, Michael
- McCarthy, Fran
- Moylan, Prof. Tom
- O’Donovan, Eddie
- Petrie, Graham
- Ryan, Dr. Anna
- Scalbert, Irenee
- Shaw, Dr. Lytle
- Varnelis, Dr. Kazys
- Walker, Simon
- Webb, Rosie
Lecturer and Fab Lab Director
I am an architect from ETSA Madrid. I was part of Medialab Madrid, a center for the art, science and new technology. Since 2005, I have edited Archfarm a magazine focused on theoretical thinking, critic and the latest proposals about architecture, art and science.
I moved to Ireland in 2007 and became part of the committee of the Architectural Association of Ireland. In 2008 I was commissioned exhibition designer for The Lives of Spaces Ireland’s Participation at the 11th International Venice Architectural Biennale 2008.
I currently live in Cordoba (Spain) where I have founded Colaborativa.eu a design, technology and social action agency our projects range from art installations to grassroots urbanism actions, mapping software applications and free culture advocacy. I have been invited lecturer at the DIT, Dublin; ETSA Alicante and part of the visiting teachers program of the Architectural Association in London.
In 2012 I started a Fab Lab within the School of Architecture. He is currently director at Fab Lab Limerick where he researches about open source construction systems.
Javi BurónGarcía, Architect (ETSA Madrid, Spain)
Courses Website: http://saul.javierburon.net
The modules I teach for the Academic Year 2012-13 are:
AR4025 Drawing and Representation 5
AR4026 Drawing and Representation 6
AR4367 Digital Technology: Timber technology and Digital Fabrication
AR4367 Digital Technology: Digital Fabrication 2
I have also taught the following modules for multiple semesters and years since 2007:
AR4005 Design Studio 3a
AR4006 Design Studio 3b
AR4017 Representation theory 1
AR4018 Representation theory 2
AR4367 Digital Technology: Advanced modelling and rendering techniques
AR4367 Digital Technology: Parametric design & prototyping
AR4367 Digital Technology: network-learning | network-design
Current research interests centre on Data Visualization, Online Mapping Technologies, Responsive Interfaces and Open Digital Fabrication Technologies. Developing user-friendly and responsive interfaces for the visualization and analysis of real time built environment data. Implementing online mapping tools based on open source software in planning departments and urban design teams to allow real time data collection and analysis. Development of affordable Digital Fabrication tools and construction methods for on-site building industry to improve construction quality, energy performance and cost effectiveness of small and midsize building projects.
* 2005–2010 BurónGarcía, Javi. Editor “Archfarm Magazine”, ISSN 1885-6527. Archfarm is a publication focused on the analysis and diffusion of initiatives and collectives that have no space in other communication channels. Critical thinking, theoretical discourse and the latest proposals on architecture and tangent issues
* 2007 BurónGarcía, Javi. “Why do people like puzzles?”, ISBN 978–0–9555502–0–1 in ie: Four Under Forty. Graft, interventions & additions, editors Javier Burón and Maxim Laroussi. Dublin: Architecture Republic, 2007
* 2005 BurónGarcía, Javi. “Arquitectura y videojuego” in Archfarm #1, Archfarm magazine. ISSN: 1885-6527, February 2005.
* 2005 BurónGarcía, Javi. “Nude05 ́. Lo más nutrido del diseño nacional se presenta en Valencia a finales de septiembre” in ETECE 7, Amasté. ISSN: 1697-7947, September 2007, p.35
Conference Papers presented
* 2013 “Open Design Studio” at Emerging Research, the 2nd Annual Conference of the All Ireland Architectural Research Group (AIARG), Limerick, January 2013
Invited Lectures given
* “FabLab@SAUL” at 3dCamp, Limerick, Ireland. May 2013. Invited by Dr Gabriela Avram.
* “#DisponibleEnCórdoba” at #Geoinquietos #4, Córdoba, Spain. May 2013. Invited by Patricio Soriano
* “Open design: The Cathedral and the Bazaar” at School of Architecture, Universidad San Jorge, Zaragoza, Spain. April 2013. Invited by Antonio Estepa and Carlos Cámara.
* “An inside view about Colaborativa.eu” at Efímere, Córdoba, Spain. March 2013. Invited by Fundación tres Culturas.
* “Digital Culture and Architecture” at Colegio Oficial de Arquitectos de Jaén, Spain. March 2013. Invited by Colegio Oficial de Arquitectos de Jaén.
* “Creative City and New Wine” at Aleluya del vino nuevo, Real Círculo de la Amistad, Córdoba. February 2013. Invited by Consejo Regulador de la Denominación de Origen Montilla Moriles.
* “#UrbanismoDeBarrio (Huerto Fuensanta)” at Pechakucha #1, Córdoba. February 2013. Invited by Pechakucha Córdoba.
* “Colaborativa.eu@MADE” at MADE, Birmingham, UK. December 2012. Invited by David Title.
* “Open Source 3D printing and Digital Fabrication” at School of Industrial Design, Malaga University, Spain, November 2012. Invited by Surgenia, Centro Tecnológico Andaluz del Diseño
* “3d Printing and new consumption models” at the I Feria de Consumo Responsable, at Universidad de Córdoba, Spain, October 2012. Invited by Área de Cooperación y Solidaridad. Universidad de Córdoba.
* “The making of Localwiz” at the Curso sobre smartphones, apps y museología at Instituto Andaluz de Patrimonio Histórico, Sevilla, Spain. May 2012. Invited by Instituto Andaluz de Patrimonio Histórico.
* “Architecture and software” at Laboratorio de Nuevas profesiones, Cursos de verano de la Universidad de Córdoba at Museo Arqueológico de Córdoba, Spain. July 2011. Invited by Consejo Social de la Universidad de Córdoba, Spain.
* Moderator at Freshlatino 2: a conversation between Pilar Echezarreta and Tim Redfern at Instituto Cervantes Dublin, Ireland. 18th February 2010. Invited by Instituto Cervantes Dublin.
* “Hablemos de los que empiezan en Córdoba, que hay lío” at Inauguración de la exposición Arquia/próxima 2008 at Colegio Oficial de Arquitectos de Córdoba, Spain. May 2009. Invited by Félix Arranz.
* Co-organizer of ODB Meetup: mobile technologies at Universidad Loyola Andalucía, Córdoba, Spain. 19th May 2012. See http://www.bitsandhits.info/mercado-tecnologico/celebracion-del-apps-odb-meetup-en-etea-loyola/
* Co-organizer (together with Magda Sánchez and Curro Crespo) Dosymedio: ¿comprometen las parcels illegals el future de Córdoba? con Rafael Obrero, Octavio Salazar y Teresa Álvarez round table on local urbanism at OMundodeAlicia, Córdoba, Spain. 9th Febrero 2011
* Co-organizer (together with Magda Sánchez and Curro Crespo) Dosymedio: ¿qué significará la Ronda Norte para nuestra ciudad? con Antonio Valdenebro, Tomás Gonzalez de Canales y Gerardo Pedrósz round table on local urbanism at Amapola Café, Córdoba, Spain. 24th November 2010
* Co-organizer (together with Magda Sánchez and Curro Crespo) Dosymedio: ¿puede ser el parque Cruz Conde un lugar para todos? Con Jerónimo Sánchez y Mercedes Castro round table on local urbanism at SoulFood, Córdoba, Spain. 13th October 2010
* Co-organizer (together with Magda Sánchez and Curro Crespo) Dosymedio: ¿es posible la peatonalización del centro de Córdoba? con Pedro Caro, Jacinta Ortiz, Pedro Perez, Juan Aljama y Carlos Puentes round table on local urbanism at SoulFood, Córdoba, Spain. 27th Julio 2010
* Co-organizer (together with Instituto Cervantes Dublin and Architectural Association of Ireland) of Fresh-air-kitecture: Andrés Jaque in conversation with Cast Architects at Instituto Cervantes Dublin, Ireland. 3rd December 2009. See http://dublin.cervantes.es/FichasCultura/Ficha59940_16_1.htm
* Co-organizer of Round table and screening of Spanish Dream a film about the property bubble in Spain with Santi Curigeda, Guillermo Cruz and Ricardo Verges at Sala la Herradura, Córdoba, Spain. 11th June 2009.
* Co-organizer (together with Instituto Cervantes Dublin and Architectural Association of Ireland) of Fresh-air-kitecture: AceboXalonso in conversation with architecture 53Seven at Instituto Cervantes Dublin, Ireland. 19th Feburary 2009. See http://dublin.cervantes.es/FichasCultura/Ficha54058_16_1.htm
* Co-organizer (together with Instituto Cervantes Dublin and Architectural Association of Ireland) of Fresh-air-kitecture: Sara de Giles (MGM Architects) in conversation with Dominic Stevens at Trinity College – Davis Theatre, Dublin, Ireland. 29th January 2009. See http://dublin.cervantes.es/FichasCultura/Ficha53991_16_2.htm
* Co-organizer (together with Instituto Cervantes Dublin and Architectural Association of Ireland) of Informal urban sustainability. Belinda Tato in conversation with Edward Conroy at Trinity College – Walton Theatre, Dublin, Ireland. 16th October 2008. See http://dublin.cervantes.es/FichasCultura/Ficha51324_16_2.htm
* Co-organizer (together with Instituto Cervantes Dublin and Architectural Association of Ireland) of Tourism and urbanism. José Miguel Iribas in conversation with Tarla McGabhann at Trinity College – Ed Burke Theatre, Dublin, Ireland. 10th April 2008. See http://dublin.cervantes.es/FichasCultura/Ficha48443_16_2.htm
* Co-organizer (together with Instituto Cervantes Dublin and Architectural Association of Ireland) of ¡Mañana! Public Achitectural Works. Nieto y Sobejano and Yvonne Farrell at Trinity College – Davis Theatre, Dublin, Ireland. 31st January 2008. See http://dublin.cervantes.es/FichasCultura/Ficha46925_16_2.htm
* Co-organizer (together with Instituto Cervantes Dublin and Architectural Association of Ireland) of ¡Mañana! Public Achitectural Works. Anonio Cruz and John Tuomey at Instituto Cervantes Dublin, Ireland. 29th November 2007. see http://dublin.cervantes.es/FichasCultura/Ficha45660_16_2.htm
* Co-organizer (together with Instituto Cervantes Dublin) of Jamming Two. talks on architecture and design: Simon Walker, Leo Scarff and Santi Cirugeda at the Sugar Club, Dublin, Ireland. 3th October 2007. See http://jamming.archfarm.org/ and http://dublin.cervantes.es/FichasCultura/Ficha45296_16_2.htm
* Co-organizer (together with Instituto Cervantes Dublin) of Jamming One. talks on architecture and design: Charles Furniture, Dominic Stevens and Curro Claret at the Sugar Club, Dublin, Ireland. 9th May 2007. See http://jamming.archfarm.org/
* 2003 Architect by Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Madrid, Spain ETSA Madrid is one of the most recognized Spanish architecture schools, the teachers board is formed by architects like Alberto Campo Baeza, Juan Navarro Baldewerg, Ábalos & Herreros, Federico Soriano, Vicens & Ramos, Tuñón & Mansilla, Salvador Pérez Arroyo and others. Final thesis project “Benidorm: leisure at high” was selected from among other 150 final thesis for public presentation.
* Oct 2003 – Aug 2004 Scholarship at Medialab Madrid.Researching about the use of artificial intelligence, genetics algorithms and artificial life in architecture design, in collaboration with an interdisciplinary group of scientists, artists and designers.
* Aug 2004 – Feb 2005 Multimedia designer at Medialab Madrid. Part of the production team of “Banquete: comunicación en evolución” exhibition. This new media art exhibition was on February 2005 and presented more than 25 international artist like Marcelí Antúnez (Fura des Baus), Golan Levin, Jodi and Ben Fry.
* Aug 2004 – July 2005 Freelancer designer at Madrid, Spain
doing various works of Interior Design, Furniture Design and Multimedia works. Clients: Cidaut, an I+D automotive company from Valladolid; Los 29 enchufes, an art gallery from Madrid; Videopoemas bandidos, an art event in Madrid; Ayuntamiento de León; and MUSAC, Castile-Leon Museum of Contemporary Art in León.
* Nov 2005 – Apr 2007 Architect at Architecture Republic, Dublin, Ireland. Working as associate architect; meeting with clients, surveying, sketching, preparing planning documentation, construction detailing and tendering. Co-designer of “the Plastic House” and “the y=3 houses” housing projects which received special mention AAI Awards 2010. Co-edited the book “Four Under Forty” and co-curated the exhibition “Four Under Forty” in Ringsend, Dublin.
* May 2007 – March 2010 Independent Architect and curator at Dublin, Ireland and Córdoba, Spain. I worked as Exhibition Designer for the “The Lives of Spaces – Ireland’s Participation at the 11th International Venice Architectural Biennale 2008”, Venice, Italy. Also won an international competition “Concurso antena torre de Valencia” for a communication tower on the top of one most prominent buildings in Madrid City Centre. Co-curated together with Eleanor Moloney “Empathic Space” an art performance part of 2010 ev+a. Biennial of Visual Art, Limerick City.
* Feb 2010 – present Co-founder at Colaborativa Córdoba, Spain. Colaborativa is a design, technology and social action agency. Colaborativa’s projects range from art installations to grassroots urbanism actions, mapping software applications and free culture advocacy. Colaborativa’s work has been showcased in spanish national newspapers El País, ABC and El Mundo, magazines and TV.
Nov 2006 – Sep 2010 Committee Member of the Architectural Association of Ireland, Dublin, Ireland (www.aai-ireland.com)
* 2005 Selected for Young Designers Exibition Salón NUDE/2005 at International Furniture Fair Valencia, Spain
* 2005 Selected for International Seminar on Architecture, Madrid. Directed by Iñaki Ábalos and the following guest professors Stan Allen, Stefano Boeri, Anne Lacaton, Greg Lynn, Josep Luis Mateo and Françoise Roche
* 2006 Selected for Young Designers Exibition Salón NUDE/2006 at International Furniture Fair Valencia, Spain
* 2008 Selected for the 2008 Visiting Teachers’ Programme at the Architectural Association, London, UK and funded by an Arts Council of Ireland Travel Award.
* 2010 Selected in the iNeXe International Executive or Andalusian Entrepreneurs Programme
* 2012 Selected in the EU Leonardo Partnership Vocational Architecture Learning Network
* 2010 Archfarm Magazine showcased at the exhibition Cocktelera Editorial: publicaciones independientes de arquitectura at Museo de Antioquia de Medellín, Colombia. October 2010.